Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Bicycle Debacle Continues...

Hello Readers and thanks for saving my bacon last night. I'm in too much of rage to go into further details please allow me to fill you in (so to speak).

It really should not be too difficult to purchase a bicycle these days. I have a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket...either that or one of my gonads is on fire! I revoke my previous comments about on-line bicycle retailers. Sorry about that Winstanley bikes! Maybe I should not have taken my frustration out on these people. I suppose that it is not entirely their fault that a country we import all our products from over seas via container ships. When you see "out of stock" on a webpage that is the image that should enter your mind. A container ship in the middle of the sea, somewhere deep within, the product of your dreams is hidden. Whilst we are on or off the subject those guys who hang out in a disused workshop behind wigan train station did eventually respond to my emails.

My local bike shop (LBS) has let me down. I feel angry and anxious about this matter. Cyclists are contantly reminded by internet discussion forums to support their local bike shops, but what happens if your local bike shop is run by an ecentric buffoon with jellied eels for brains? I would dearly love to post the name of this chap and his fruitless bike shop...but I will resist the temptation. First they told me that the bike I wanted was out of stock, but they would ring the supplier...and it would definately arrive by the 7th. I rang to confirm that this was still the case, but hold on it was now in stock, oh hang on that is a different bicycle altogether, sorry about that! It will not arrive until the 12th. They don't deliver though so I'm told to call at the shop to collect the bike. Also they refused to discuss methods of payment which left me dazed, confused and indifferent. On the 11th, I felt pessemistic about the arrival of this bicycle and gave the shop a quick ring just to make absolutely sure they had actually taken order of the product. Low and behold, it had not arrived. I wanted to discuss the matter, but they were too busy with christmas orders and a shop bustling with customers. They said that they would call me back first thing in the morning! I felt shattered...I've drooled about getting my hands on that particular bike for months...my hopes had been raised and then dashed.

I'm not really sure what criteria is required to define first thing in the morning, but I've done a full mornings work and had my lunch and nobody from the friendly local bike shop has called. I took this matter into my own hands and wrang the manufacturer of the bikes. They gave me the name of a reputable online retailer and I ordered a bike online later the same day. It was over £20.00 cheaper than my local bike shop with free delivery. I just have to wait and see if it actually arrives this time...let hope so because this is the third time I've ordered this item.

All this just ot buy a bicycle...I'm a nervous wreck!

Keith Doughnut

Latest update: my order has changed from pending to processing. That is a very exciting development for an impatient geek like myself.

No comments: